SkyCast Wind & Thermodynamic Profiling System
Partnering with Radiometrics
Real-time weather monitoring at airport locations provides critical information to forecasters and other operational users to make informed decisions regarding the existence of hazardous weather conditions and their impacts on safe flight and ground operations.
Radiometrics, in partnership with WDSS International, has designed and implemented a SkyCast Wind and Thermodynamic Profiling System (SWTPS) specifically for airport installations.
The SWTPS integrates wind and thermodynamic data from the in-situ instrumentation set boundary layer Radar Wind Profiler (RWP), an ASW sodar, and local surface station data to provide continuous near real-time vertical profiles of winds, temperature, water vapor and liquid from the surface to operational altitudes. The profile data are automatically analyzed and displayed in forecaster friendly formats, with a broad range of automatically generated forecast indices providing valuable guidance.
The SkyCast WTPS airport solution contains:
- A Radiometrics wind profiler for retrieval of vertical profiles of horizontal winds
- A Radiometrics radiometer for the retrieval of vertical profiles of temperature and moisture variables
- A Radiometrics sodar for retrieval of very high-resolution winds near the surface
- Integration with local surface sensor information
- Wind shear, fog, and inversion detection, alerting, and trending algorithms
- Sounding Analysis Toolkit
- A Web based VizAir display system
SkyCast WTPS provides unattended, real-time monitoring for many
SkyCast WTPS solutions provides unattended, real-time monitoring to support operational nowcasting and forecasting for weather sensitive activities including aviation, space launch, military, emergency management, research, and other applications demanding high-quality, rapidly updated upper air meteorological data products, which allow forecasters to reliably monitor and evaluate the state of weather conditions at their site (e.g an airport, launch facility, etc.)